There is no denying the fact that good samaritans are an asset to our society. Any time there is an accident, you can find good samaritans rushing to the aid of the injured and doing whatever they can to protect the victims from further harm.
At the same time, there have also been instances where Good Samaritans have suffered injuries while trying to help injured victims at the accident scene. In such a scenario, the injured Good Samaritan can pursue legal action against the at-fault party with the help of a Texas personal injury attorney and seek compensation.
What You Should Do When You, a Good Samaritan, Are Injured in an Accident
There are some factors you should be mindful of when being a good samaritan. They involve:
The Risk of Injuries for Good Samaritans
The first thing you need to remember while rushing to help someone who has been injured in an accident is that you too are at risk of suffering injuries by negligent motorists – particularly on highways.
As any Texas personal injury attorney can tell you, being a Good Samaritan does not mean you should help others without any regard for your own safety. No matter how well-intentioned you are, you should never place yourself unnecessarily in harm’s way.
You can mitigate the risk of injuries and safeguard yourself by taking the following precautions:
- If the accident has taken place at night, wear a high-visibility vest or a headlamp if you have one. Make sure to wear either one before stepping out of your vehicle. If you do not have a vest or headlamp, carry a flashlight with you to make it easier for oncoming vehicles to spot you. You may also use your mobile phone’s flashlight setting if it has one.
- If you have flares in your vehicle, set them up around the accident scene to let other motorists know that there is an obstruction ahead.
- Do not stand directly behind a parked vehicle at the accident scene. If a careless driver crashed into the vehicle, you could get seriously injured.
- Keep an eye on your surroundings and look out for vehicles that might come out of nowhere.
Despite taking these precautions, you might still get injured by a negligent motorist or any other third party. If and when it happens, you have the right to seek compensation from the negligent third party like any other injury victim. An experienced Texas personal injury lawyer can help you recover the damages you are owed from the at-fault party.
How to Choose the Right Lawyer to Handle Your Claim
If you are a Good Samaritan who has been injured in an accident, you should pick an experienced trial attorney to handle your personal injury claim. The fact that you got injured while trying to help someone else can make it easier for your attorney to convince the judge or jury that you deserve to be fully compensated for your injuries and other losses.
When considering a lawyer, make sure they possess these two qualities:
- Good Communication – You may have to look through reviews when searching for an experienced lawyer. If you find one, try to see if past clients mention that they keep communication openly consistent.
- Excellent Track Record of Recovering Significant Settlements – You of course want to make sure that the firm you hire carries a track record of obtaining large settlements for clients. Likewise, you should also make certain that the firm you hire doesn’t have a history of accepting low settlements. A history of accepting low settlements will signify that the firm is only in it to make quick cash and will move on from your case as soon as possible.
Experienced Texas Personal Injury Attorney for Good Samaritans
At Kirk Law Firm, we are committed to providing aggressive, cost-effective legal representation to good samaritans who are injured while helping other people. Founded by Dana G. Kirk – who has been a personal injury lawyer for 40+ years and has received the highest professional honors in the industry – The Kirk Law Firm has the capacity and connections to handle all kinds of personal injury claims.