Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of fatalities across the United States, and Texas is no exception. Safer vehicles and improved driver education have helped, but other problems such as distracted driving have canceled out some of the benefits. In 2013 alone, 21,132 people lost their lives in crashes. If you’ve been injured in any type of auto accident, it is in your best interest to contact a motor vehicle accident attorney immediately. Memories tend to fade quickly and detailed information may be more difficult to obtain after a certain amount of time has passed. Documents such as police reports, medical bills, and insurance correspondence can prove immensely beneficial to your case. Contact a Houston Motor Vehicle Attorney Today.
Most Common Causes of Motor Vehicle Accidents
There are several contributing factors, but the most common causes of auto accidents include:
- Distracted driving – 3,154 people were killed and 424,000 were injured in distracted driving accidents in 2013.
- Fatigued driving – According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), at least 100,000 accidents are caused by fatigued driving every year.
- Road hazards and adverse weather conditions – Icy and snowy roads, heavy rainfall, construction debris, loose gravel, and various other road hazards pose real threats to drivers every day.
- Faulty vehicle parts – Mechanical failures are responsible for up to 13% of all motor vehicle accidents.
- Lack of experience – Motor vehicle accidents are the number one killer of American teens.
- Reckless driving – Teens are much more likely to engage in reckless driving behaviors than their older counterparts.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol – In 2011, 15% of all fatal car crashes during the week involved a driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The same is true for 31% of all fatal weekend crashes during the same time period.
As the use of smart phones and other electronic devices continues to grow, the risk of distracted drivers grows right along with it. According to the NHTSA, driver text messaging increased from 1.7% in 2013 to 2.2% in 2014. Although this might not seem like a big increase, it is actually statistically significant. The bottom line is, distracted driving is a leading cause of motor vehicle accidents in the US and that is not likely to change any time soon. Defensive driving is of the utmost importance on today’s roadways.
The Kirk Law Firm – Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys Serving Houston
If you’ve been injured in any type of motor vehicle accident, Attorney Dana G. Kirk can help. With nearly 37 years of experience fighting for the rights of accident and injury victims, he and his skilled legal team will work closely with you to determine the best legal strategy. The Kirk Law Firm has an impressive record of obtaining compensation for clients. Car and truck accidents can be physically, emotionally, and financially devastating. You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, transportation costs, and other associated expenses. Following an auto accident, it can be overwhelming to deal with the insurance companies. The Kirk Law Firm can help. Our goal is to make the process as smooth as possible for you, and to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. Contact us for a free consultation about your case.
Request Your Free Case Evaluation
PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW TO RECEIVE A FREE CONSULTATION.
THERE’S ABSOLUTELY NO OBLIGATION.
4265 San Felipe Street, Suite 1060
Houston, TX 77027